How many of you have plugged your iPad or iPhone in and got the message in the top right corner saying ‘not charging’?
All the research I did came up with Hard Resets, Soft Resets, revert to factory settings, lightening connector issue or contact Apple after care.
Well, it seems there is a far simpler answer which I found out by trial and error and then a hidden blog from another person, so thank you to them. Forgive me, I can’t find it again.
When you plug your iPad or iPhone into a USB socket on your computer it often goes green in top right then ‘not charging’ comes up. So you and I assumed it wasn’t charging. Wrong. Whilst the screen is active there is, for some reason, insufficient current in the charging unit to show it as charging. So, when the unit goes into sleep and reduces the current usage the unit starts charging. The problem is you can’t see this because it is in sleep. As soon as you bring it to life again it shows ‘not charging’.
Also be aware that even though ‘not charging’ shows your unit is still connecting to iTunes and shows on your computer system. So that identifies that it has a connection.
I know there will be occasions where old computer USB and power units will not provide sufficient current to charge the new generation Apple products but if you are using a power mains adapter or USB power socket on your Computer which is new then it should be fine.
It will charge slower, but it does charge.
Give it a try, send me your views.
Check out latest iPads here – [amazon_link asins=’B01DM7ASV8,B01D3NUJEC,B01E3VH03G,B016OKEDT8′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’saxoparkservb-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’46c21834-5b3c-11e7-b642-0917ffce1394′]
Have you got to the stage where your IPAD wont start? All you get is the Apple LOGO and no further. I imagine like many you have tried the normal remedies:
- Turned the IPAD off at this point by holding the POWER OFF button down? This will remove the LOGO screen
- Pressing it again will bring it back to the LOGO screen
- Now tried holding the HOME and POWER OFF buttons for at least 10 seconds. Now it goes to black screen again
- Pressing POWER ON again just brings up the LOGO screen
By now panic has set in, you want to throw the tablet out the window and concerned that you haven’t synchronised or backed up the IPAD to your computer or iCloud.
This happened to me last night having just upgraded my iPhone and IPAD to IOS 8.1 and activated the ‘Handsoff’ and message sharing tools. I read the support pages 1
and it seemed the only option was to enter a recovery mode and reset to factory and lose all my data.
So I started that process realising my last back up was 2 days ago! Now there are some things you need to know extra to the guidance on Apple pages shown in links 1 and 2 above.
- Open your iTunes program without the IPAD connected
- Now hold the HOME key on the IPAD and insert the USB cable.
- Keep holding the HOME key until the message about ‘Restoration mode‘ comes up on your IPAD screen then let go.
- You will get a message on your iTunes programme on your PC recognising an IPAD has been connected but no name, serial no etc. If you don’t repeat 2 and 3 above
- The message gives you an option to UPDATE or RESTORE.
- Choose UPDATE. Even if you have the latest OIS on your IPAD.
- You will now see a sign that the software update is downloading and the Apple LOGO will appear on the IPAD.
- The download will take a while, most likely an hour.
- During this time the IPAD will change from LOGO screen to black screen and back a few times. DO NOT disconnect the cables or interfere with the download process.
- About half way through the download process my IPAD suddenly kicked into play and the iTunes programme showed the name, serial no and sync details.
- I left the download to finish and as soon as the download was ended the iTunes account showed my IPAD was up to date!!!
- Now do an immediate SYNC!!
I hope this works for anyone who reads this and please share it widely.